Vision & Beliefs
God has given us a vision for ministry in our region that is articulated by the letters of the word ACTS. Not only is it our desire to model after the power of the first century church that can be read about in Acts 2, but also the four letters of the word state our four word vision:
Add, Connect, Train and Send. We are an ACTS church.
Add. Our vision is to Add souls into the world-wide Church. God is serious about adding souls one at a time to His family, so that’s our priority as well. People are added into the kingdom of the Father through saving faith in Jesus Christ. We encourage a culture within The River that is always seeking to rescue lost souls. Jesus came to seek and to save that which was lost, so like Him, we are always looking for opportunities to proclaim the message of the cross in the hopes of winning some. Jesus is the only door into the kingdom of God. He stated, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” It’s our passion to lead as many people as we can through that door, but this is only the beginning of the story.
Connect. Our conviction is that Christianity was never meant to be lived alone. God is a relational God, and people, made in His image, are meant to Connect to others! God created us to enjoy life-giving, back and forth relationships with not only Himself but others as well, and the local church is God’s designated place for people to to receive care, grow in their faith, and learn to serve others. We have experienced that significant spiritual life change happens best when people are in relationship with one another. We call it being in covenant, and covenant relationships bring health, protection, and stability to a family. People at The River connect by showing up to church events, serving in the church, and participating in small groups.
Train. Jesus said to go and make disciples. The word disciple means student, so the third part of our vision is to Train people. Training to be a disciple happens through education and application, both learning and doing. Jesus not only taught His disciples, He also gave them opportunity to put what they learned into practice. They learned from Jesus and then were given authority to preach the good news, heal the sick, and drive out demons. One way we train people is through involvement in Cell groups that meet in homes during the week. Each group has a leader who has been trained to shepherd the small group. Our small groups are a safe place to ask questions, grow, practice gifts, give and receive support and build relationships to do life beyond meetings. We also offer seasonal courses so people can grow deeper in their understanding of theology, doctrine and biblical family health as well as learning to be a disciple by serving in a variety of ways in the church. We are committed to training individuals to become genuine disciples of Christ at every level of life.
Send. Jesus said to ask the Lord of the Harvest to Send out workers into His harvest fields. The fourth aspect of our vision is all about sending leaders into ministry. There is a great need for trained disciples who are willing to both do the work of the ministry of God on the earth and to train up others. Although souls are added to the kingdom one at a time, our efforts are multiplied if we raise up others who will reproduce themselves! The mandate of God given to Adam and Eve is still in effect today to be fruitful and multiply. We have a vision to send trained leaders to minister locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. We are an ACTS church!
What We Believe
1. We believe the Bible is God’s Word, without error and the final authority for our lives.
2. We believe in the one, living, and true God as eternally being Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We believe God is the Creator of all things.
4. We believe Jesus Christ is God’s Son, born of the Virgin Mary, and that He died on the cross for our sins and arose from the grave three days later.
5. We believe every person is separated from God because of sin and needs the Savior, Jesus Christ. We believe that no one comes to God but through Jesus Christ.
6. We believe the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses from all sin, and that through His blood we are saved, by His grace, not by our works.
7. We believe the Holy Spirit lives within all who have received Jesus Christ by faith. We believe the Holy Spirit equips us in power to live according to God’s Word and to be His witnesses on the earth, and that He bestows spiritual gifts to man for God’s glory.
8. We believe that all who have received Christ by faith make up the Church and the Church is God’s family. We believe the Scriptures encourage believers to meet regularly to worship, pray, teach the word, and to share gifts and talents. We believe the Church is to carry the gospel by word, deed, and power to the world.
9. We believe that when we die our spirit will go to be with God until our body is resurrected.
10. We believe that Jesus Christ is going to return to this earth soon to judge the living and the dead.